Haram Police!!!



This is a topic that is becoming increasingly common. You know, the ones who make it their life mission to point their finger at others and yell out haram!!! Every time I witness this, I wonder what the heck they are trying to divert from? I mean, those who are quick to judge and call actions of others haram usually are those trying to hide their own misdeeds and shortcomings.

This post is prompted by a reminder of how much haram police irritate the crap out of me after an incident that happened to me last night. In my neighborhood there is a large public park. It has large field perfect for soccer, frisbee, picnics along with tennis courts, volleyball courts, baseball fields, basketball court, skateboarding park, walking trail, and so much more. Sometimes I go to the park to watch my teenage son skateboard, play basketball, etc. Sometimes I go to walk around the massive track. Even still, I have recently discovered taking a blanket and sitting under a tree reading and reflecting on the Qur'an. It is quiet and soothing with no interruptions. Of course, because I love soccer, it is nice when some of the guys in the ummah get together to play a game of soccer.

Now keep in mind this is a public park. It is open and free to anyone to come and enjoy. So one of the guys that come hang out at the park got a call from his mother. No big deal, right? Well, turns out that in addition to the other complaints directed toward him, I was attacked by a case of haram police. According to him, his mother said being at a public park is haram for me and I should know better. HUH? Say what? Get over yourself, woman. So on the days that my son skateboards, which is every day, I should tell my 13 year old son "no, I can't come watch you...apparently it is haram." Or maybe I should tell all the Muslim men, "Sorry but because we are both Muslim we can't occupy the park at the same time." I mean have you lost your mind?!

Next,  don't create drama where there is none. Apparently I cannot be at the park when her ADULT son is at the park. She thinks people will start talking about us. Okay, let me say that there is nothing going on between her son and me. But even if their was, it is disturbing to hear that she thinks being in public is haram when a public park where many Muslims, both male and female, go. So is she saying meeting in private with a man isn't haram? {sarcasm} Sounds like a case of 'pick and choose'.

If I was ever meeting with a Muslim man with the thought of marriage consideration, then it needs to be done so in public, with other people, not in private. Meeting in private opens the door to shaitan. But in this case, she was way off base. Save the judgement to Allah. Stop trying to do His job. Stop your assumptions.

This is just but one example/experience I have had to deal with in my local community. Everyone is up in everyone else's business. It is one thing to point things out, especially to new Muslims, but do so in a respectful manner and leave the judgment at the door.

"Allah is most knowing of how long they remained. He has [knowledge of] the unseen [aspects] of the heavens and the earth. How Seeing is He and how Hearing! They have not besides Him any protector, and He shares not His legislation with anyone." [Surat Al-Kahf 18:26]


I'm sorry, but what was that last part? Allah shares NOT share His legislation with anyone? Oh and what's that? Allah sees and knows everything, even the unseen aspects? 

THEN WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO DO ALLAH'S JOB??!!! 

Look, I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect. And yes, I am still learning. But one thing I am clear on is that Allah knows my heart and intentions. The only one I have anything to prove to is Allah, not people. Why? Because as it says in the Qur'an several times...Allah is the only judge and he sure as heck doesn't need a jury to help him pass judgement.

Comments